Nebraska man arrested for allegedly shooting 4 people, killing 2, at a Sonic Drive-In restaurant, police say – USA TODAY
A man was arrested for allegedly shooting four people, killing two, late Saturday night at a Sonic Drive-In restaurant in Nebraska, authorities said Sunday.
Roberto Carlos Silva Jr., 23, was charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of first-degree arson. The Bellevue Police Department in a news release said Silva was booked into Sarpy County jail.
Police responded to reports of a possible bomb inside a moving truck in the parking lot of the fast-food restaurant on Saturday night in Bellevue near Omaha, according to Lt. Andy Jashinske. A minute later, the call was updated to a possible shooting.
Two victims were pronounced dead at the scene, while two others were taken to University of Nebraska Medical Center. Authorities have not revealed the victims’ identities pending family notification.
The motive of the shooting remained unknown on Sunday, authorities said.
Jashinske told reporters that fireworks or a “device” caused the U-Haul truck to catch fire, the Omaha World-Herald reported. The Omaha Police Bomb Squad were at the scene early Sunday to investigate the “device,” he said.
A KETV station reporter shared a video on Twitter that showed a crew battling a truck fire late Saturday.
Silva was previously arrested on Wednesday for identity theft at the same restaurant. He allegedly used a Sonic app to order $57 worth of hamburgers and corn dogs, the World-Herald reported. Police seized three firearms from Silva when he was arrested. He was released from jail on Thursday after posting 10% of his $1,500 bail.
In a Sunday statement, Sonic said it was “stunned and saddened” by the shooting.
“Our heartfelt condolences go out to the franchise owner and the families and friends impacted by this horrific tragedy,” the statement read.