Multiple people killed in suspected bow and arrow attack in Norway – CNN
The suspected attacker was using a bow and arrow, a spokesman for Norway’s southeastern police district, which includes Kongsberg, told CNN on Wednesday. Local police were first alerted to the suspect at 6:15 PM local time, he added.
The attacker is believed to have acted alone. An arrest has been made and there is “no active search for more people,” said Øyvind Aas, police chief of the county seat Drammen, in a press conference after the attack.
The perpetrator “moved over a large area” while carrying out the attack, he also said.
“Unfortunately, we can confirm that there are several injured and several killed as a result of the action. The injured have been taken to hospital for treatment. The Kongsberg municipality has been notified and has set up crisis teams to assist and follow up with those who need it,” Aas said.
Kongsberg is located 85 kilometers (about 53 miles) west of capital city Oslo.
Authorities have not ruled out the possibility of a terror attack. “From the course of events, it is natural to consider whether this is an act of terrorism,” Aas said.
“The apprehended person has not been questioned, and it is therefore too early to say anything about this and what was the person’s motivation.”
In the wake of the attack, Norwegian police across the country have been given the rare order to carry firearms as a precaution.
“Due to the serious incident in Kongsberg where several people were killed and injured tonight, the police in Norway are temporarily armed,” the Norwegian Police directorate said in a statement on Wednesday.
“This is an additional emergency measure,” the statement added. “The police currently have no concrete indications that there is a change in the threat level in the country.”
Under Norwegian law, officers typically must have prior approval to carry firearms.
Speaking at a press conference in Oslo, Erna Solberg, the country’s outgoing prime minister, described the developments in Kongsberg as “gruesome” and promised that “all necessary resources” are being deployed.
“The perpetrator has carried out horrific acts against several people. It is a very dramatic situation that has hit Kongsberg society hard, and the events shake us all,” she said.
The attack comes on the eve of a new government in Norway, after last month’s parliamentary elections unseated the long-ruling Conservative party. Labour leader Jonas Gahr Støre is due to assume the role of prime minister on Thursday.
In a Facebook post, Støre described the Kongsberg attack as a “cruel and brutal act.”
“My thoughts and deepest sympathy now go to those affected, their families, and to the police, health personnel and aid workers who are now working full time to provide an overview and assist those who need help.”
The attack comes just over a decade since Norway’s worst terrorist attack.
In July 2011, Norwegian far-right extremist Anders Behring Brevik killed 77 people, many of them teenagers, in a bomb attack and gun rampage. He was sentenced to 21 years in prison, the maximum possible term.
In August 2019, another man stormed an Oslo mosque armed with guns before being overpowered. That year, the country’s intelligence service reported that right-wing terrorism was on the rise globally, and warned that the country would likely be targeted in the near future.
This is a breaking news story.
Previous reporting by CNN’s Laura Smith-Spark in London.